The Faculty of Dental Medicine was founded at the Lebanese University in 1983, as a branch of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, and became independent by a decree issued on 6 April 1999.
Following the security events witnessed by Lebanon, the Faculty of Dental Medicine in Beirut was divided into Branches 1 and 2 between 1986 and 1996, and they were directly affiliated with the Deanship of the Faculty of Medical Sciences and managed by a Director or Coordinator.
The Faculty offers theoretical, applied and clinical training and organizes trainings, symposia and conferences in oral and maxillofacial medicine and surgery.
Within the relationship with the community, the Faculty of Dental Medicine includes clinics and laboratories that provide treatment and consultancy services to citizens at nominal prices.
The Faculty grants the following certificates:
- Diploma in Dental Surgeon
Specialized Master in:
- Restorative and Esthetic Dentistry and Endodontics
- Pediatric Dentistry and Public and Community Dental Health
- Oral Medicine and Maxillofacial Radiology
- Oral Surgery
- Forensic Dentistry - Anthropology & Human Identity Definition
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (available only to professors of the Faculty of Dental Medicine)
- Dr. Mounir Abou Asli: Dean of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, including Dental Medicine Branch: 1983 – 1994
- Dr. René Boustani: Coordinator of Medical Sciences Branch
- Dr. Sami Chartouni: Coordinator of Dental Medicine Branch
- Dr. Sami Bahri: Director of Dental Medicine (Branch 2) between 1986 – 1990
- Dr. Ibrahim Naseh: Director of Dental Medicine (Branch 2) between 1990 – 1993
- Dr. Khaldoun Rifai: Director of Dental Medicine (Branch 1) between 1986 – 1993
- Dr. Ramez Awad: Dean of the Faculty of Dental Medicine, including Dental Medicine Branch: 1994 – 1996
- Dr. Ghassan Awaini: Director of Branch 1 between 1993 – 1996
- Dr. Mounir Doumit: Director of Dental Medicine Branch between 1993 – 1999
- Dr. Robert Chahine: Dean of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, including Dental Medicine Branch: 1996 – 1999
- Dr. Mounir Doumit: Coordinator of Dental Medicine Branch